Thursday 21 October 2010

Beggars cannot be choosers

Oh I know I said I wouldn't write or think about housing for a while, that most depressing of issues, but it's Thursday isn't it? Bidding day. Cast your eye over these properties, if there is an image and, well, hope for the best, though better not to hope at all in my experience.

Seven properties up for grabs this morning. West Hampstead may be a nice place to live but it's too far from his school. Regents Park ditto. Hampstead Town he can just about cycle. It's a giant great big hill he'd have to pedal up to get home but it is the closest so it's a quick pedal down to his classroom.

I do not want to be a beggar, although a beggar is what this system wants to make of me. I want to choose what's best for my child. The cost of that is so frightening I cannot tell you.

Let's just say I didn't care for or about my child, and bid willy nilly for anything and everything. The coalition has driven a wedge into all of that this morning.

None of them are now secure.
All of them have short five year tenancies.
Low wages may ensure that we stay there, unable, as consequence, to provide for his uni costs, my pension but then
Rents are going to rise on them resulting in arrears and eviction if my wages are low, but the same inability to provide if they aren't.

I want Thursday mornings as I know them to be over.

I'm Peter Gabriel, I can't take it anymore.

With secure, state accommodation now a thing of history, there is only one avenue to stable, affordable housing.

Camelot.

No comments: