Tuesday 5 October 2010

Gimme Shelter

So much can happen in a week.

Last monday morning, before my son's social worker called, before my support worker called, having felt so low, I called Shelter, the homeless charity.

They booked me an appointment for yesterday.

How was I to know that everything would change?

A tube strike yesterday. Millions of londoners struggling to get to work. The overland was working, the overland could take me to Stratford.

What to say to the person? I'd been offered a place. Camden had fulfilled its duty. There was nothing to say.

Oh, apart from fear. Fear of what might happen next.

A lovely woman. When I showed her the article I'd written in the CNJ she said: "I'm glad someone's being proactive."

She said she could put a call through to my support worker, to find out what's happening now. I told her I'd send the two emails I wrote to the council, last monday and tuesday night.

"We can't take any action right now," she said, "but call me if there are any developments." She gave me her telephone number.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be more help," she said as I left.

"Oh you have," I replied. "More than you realise, honestly." Then I hugged her.

Gimme Shelter is a Rolling Stones song. No tunes were playing in my head yesterday. Popping into Morrison's for a bottle of water afterwards though, I saw "The Magic of Doris Day" cd selling for £4.

Unlike my other Doris cd, this one has her signature tune and more.
Que Sera Sera...
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps....

No comments: