Thursday 15 October 2009

Fun Run champions

Volunteering at Year 2's sponsored Fun Run this morning I was able to see my son and all his little friends charge round the playground. I am so impressed, so utterly impressed by these 6 and 7 year olds. So many managed 3 km!! Loads managed 4!! Some even managed 5 kilometres!!!! The special needs kids went round with everybody else. Blew me away I tell you as I stood at the end of the playground as part of my marshalling duties and whooped and cheered as they turned the last corner to the 'finishing lap', where they would get a tick, or if a kilometre was completed, a sticker. Hand on heart, I could not do this.

In the newsletter last week, following the Year 3 to 6 Fun Run the Head wrote that "of 231 children, 228 children completed 2km, and 35 ran the maximum 5km. The total distance covered by all the children was 880.7 km (550 miles)" !!!!!!!

These figures do not take into account the children's skipping, hula hooping, step jumping.

My son completed 4.5 km. When I'd look out for him he'd be skipping or at the refreshments table having a drink.

At the end, when group photos were taken, he was coughing and choking and then began to cry. I was told by a teaching assistant that he was coughing when he stopped to skip. As he was still wheezing sometime later, the school gave me the option to take him home. My son wanted to, but I said no thinking I have a dentist's appointment.

He'll be ok at school but am feeling like the world's shittiest mother.

Stirling achievement by all the kids though. When the Tories say Labour has failed school children, I look at my son's school, an 'inner city community primary', and I can't agree. That all schools are like this one.

No comments: