Tuesday 6 October 2009

Row with my brother

Parents' kitchen, at the weekend. My married sister is leaning against a wall, my divorced brother and myself are sat around the table.

Sis: I heard you went to see your MP. What happened?
Bro: You went to see your MP? Who is it? Where? Why?
Me (wanting to get on with the story): [The Labour one] about housing of course, it doesn't matter where...
Bro: Yes it does, where? I want to know where?
Me: Oh christ, at an informal coffee evening, does it matter?
Bro: Yes it does, I want to picture the scene.
Me: Somewhere in Finchley
Sis: So what happened? What is she like?
Bro: Where in Finchley?
Me: (beginning to feel somewhat exasperated): God, Swiss Cottage, a shopping centre, there somewhere
Bro: Oh yes, I see it, the O2 centre, I've done Ceroc there!
Me: Geez
Sis: What did she say?
Bro: Why did you go?
Me: To ask her if she could help us with our housing problems
Bro: What housing problems?
Me: Christ, if after six years, you don't know what I'm going through then where the fuck have you been? Our lease has expired, the council wants us to move to a private flat and if we don't they'll put us in a hostel.
Bro: I don't understand.
Sis: Sue is saying that when the lease expires on her flat the council will put her and her son in a hostel if they don't move into the private sector.
Me: Thanks
Bro: What's wrong with that?
Me: What's wrong with that?? You want to carry on paying for us, for thousands of other families, to remain in poverty? What's wrong with that??
Bro: You should do the private thing. I moved around alot, sometimes you have to.
Me: Not with your children on your back did you!
Bro: Yes I did!
Me: Oh for fucks sake, you didn't. But either way, you might like playing bouncy bouncy with your children but I don't want to do that with mine OK? I want to settle, build a secure foundation for him.
Bro: Well from where I'm standing it doesn't look like you have any choice.
Me: (shouting now): Which is why I'm going to sue the fucking bastards if a lawyer will give me the chance!
Bro (rather too smugly for my liking, leaning back into a chair): Oh and WHO is going to PAY for THAT?

Me: YOU

Mother (after a pause way more pregnant than my sister): Un silence mort.

Sis: Apparantly an angel passes through the house every 20 past and 20 to
I look at the clock on the wall, it's 20 past 3
Bro: Ha ha, like that will help her
Me: Actually, I have an entire ARMY of angels!
Bro: You better believe it
Me: I DO

And with that I go and climb into bed and fall asleep as my son plays his psp quietly beside me.

No comments: