Tuesday 13 October 2009

How they allocate housing is another language

A couple of weeks ago I emailed 'allocations' and asked why an immigrant family waiting less time than me is shortlisted for a flat, where I, who have been waiting longer am bullied with the private rental sector or threatened with a hostel.

She failed to answer my question. She said that the allocations system was not based on immigrants and immigration, that indeed "lettings information suggest that households who are White UK, White Irish, White Other have been the recipients of the greater proportion of lettings for 2008/2009 combined, in comparision with other ethic groups and this would be proportionate to the number of households registered for housing."

I personally couldn't give a flying fairy cake, that wasn't my question, which I told her in toned down terms yesterday. For me, it's not about a persons creed or colour, "after all," I continued, "with our borders open to the EU now, immigration and migration is not based on colour."

I repeated my original question, added that the other flat in my block had gone to an "Asian" family who had only waited two years, and found her response in my inbox this morning. From her perspective, allocations are based on "who is in most pressing housing need."

I replied of course, that I, my son and I, were in most pressing housing need, even though we might not "look" like it.

I have trouble understanding this, my five followers. From my perspective it seems that if you fly, take a boat, swim into the country, you will be helped and housed but if you are born here and fall upon hard times, then you can just fuck off.

No, I didn't say this to her, merely reiterated that her email made me feel bullied and threatened by the Council. But I've got to say it to somebody, so it's your lucky day.

No comments: