Monday 24 May 2010

Letter to the Blue Man

Dear David Cameron,

I wrote to Tony Blair, I wrote to Gordon Brown, now it is only right I write to you.

My seven year old son and I have been statutorily homeless for six years. Last year we received a possession notice on our temporary accommodation the week before Christmas and are soon to be evicted. You want a stable country and economy Mr Cameron; I want a secure, affordable home. I’ve been busy campaigning on behalf of my child and the situation looks hopeless.

My son is in a very good community school, doing well after a difficult start. I fear the excellent education he is getting will be torn away from him. What does this spell for his future?

In January I wrote to the Conservative and Liberal Democrat camps asking to meet you and Nick Clegg. By coincidence I met the Liberal Democrat Leader and he took down my details.

My borough is on the cusp of a catastrophe Mr Cameron. Under a Labour Government it was run by a Libdem/Tory coalition. Council flats were being auctioned off to the detriment of my child, of many children. Now under a Tory/Libdem Government my borough is run under a Labour council.

Mr Brown’s office told me it was up to the Local Authority to house us. Back then, the Local Authority said our problems were the Government’s fault.

I am tired of being thrown from pillar to post. I am tired of this cycle of evictions my son and I have found ourselves in. Mr Cameron, I am desperate to take my son home. First his father, then a Church, now a Housing Association the council placed us in. It has to stop. I know you are extraordinarily busy but I am sure that someone within your team can help us.

I have sent you the election eviction story I wrote to channel my fear and fury at our situation during the elections. I hope one day you find time to read it because as a case study it may help anyone, any Government understand the social impact and high costs of ignoring housing policy.

You did say that you want to help the poor and vulnerable. You need to if you don’t want our country to really break under the weight of chronic poverty.

I wish you luck in your new role and with Nick Clegg by your side, hope for the fairer society so many of us crave.

I want the best for my child Mr Cameron, just as you want the best for yours.

I look forward to a positive outcome, for my son, for my country.
Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

Sue de Nim

No comments: