Monday 24 May 2010

Letter to the Yellow Man

Dear Nick Clegg,
Congratulations on entering the portals of No 10! It’s not generally my style to write to Deputy Prime Ministers with my problem but to me you are still the Leader of the Liberal Democrat Party and you are in Downing Street! It must still make you smile sometimes.

I met you, if you remember, at the offices of the [local] newspaper in February. I told you my son and I are being evicted and you asked [your Pal] to help us.

To my knowledge the council did not reply to any email he sent on our behalf. His help has probably gone now the council is back in Labour’s hands. I feel like Sisyphus, only I’m carrying my child on my back as I roll the boulder up the mountain.

I’ve written to David Cameron. It felt mad and desperate writing to Blair, less so writing to Brown. Writing to Prime Ministers on the issue has become a habit pregnant with hope.

Can you still help me and my son from way up where you are? My son still believes you can. I don’t know but I do know you can help our country.

The Libdem housing policies I read filled me with hope. In the TV debates, you were the only one to mention the need for council flats. You were the only one who demonstrated an understanding of just how difficult it is for some of us to come off benefits, housing benefit in particular.

The Conservative ideology is so far from yours on the issue I am relieved you are in Government. Obviously I want your coalition to help me and my son but I don’t know when the bailiff’s order will drop through our letter box.

Over four million people are on the waiting list for council flats in this country, 18,000 in my borough. There’s an unaccountable number of people who aren’t accounted for. The Tories started all this, they can end it too, with your Party’s help.

I’ve sent you an election eviction story I wrote recently. I hope you will read it. It’s no literary masterpiece but I needed to channel my emotions somewhere, so it was onto paper.

I’ve sent it to Mr Cameron too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...It might kick start the inevitable discussions you must have with him about housing if they haven’t begun already. I could be anybody. My child could be any child. I do so want our nightmare to end.

I wish you the very best of luck in your new position Mr Clegg. I hope it’s not too difficult juggling two such challenging roles.

Yours sincerely,

Sue de Nim

No comments: