Friday 13 May 2011

The lengths I go for you Camden....

February 2011

Dear Boris Johnson,

I cycled to your offices last autumn hoping to catch you but we didn't see one another. It was suggested by staff at reception that I email you.
It's taken me up until now because I was being evicted from my home at the time; I feel more settled now!
I want to ask your help regarding a serious housing issue (I know, terribly boring). I just you need you to hear me out which should take less than five minutes! Five minutes Mr Johnson. I know you care deeply about housing (despite it being terribly boring), and I know you will be interested in what I have to say and what I have to show you.
I can cycle to your offices again, if that's easiest for you. Buy you a coffee in the cafe downstairs.
Otherwise, have bike, will travel!
I can meet you anywhere!
Five minutes Mr Johnson, I promise.
Win win win win win win win!!
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely,
Sue de Nim

March 2011

Dear Sue
Thank you for your email to the Mayor, to which I have been asked to respond.
I am sorry to learn about your difficult housing situation. The Mayor's role in housing is a strategic one. That is, he is responsible for producing the London Housing Strategy and setting the overall aims for the investment to deliver the strategy. As such, it is not appropriate for him to intervene in individual cases.
You may find it useful to seek the advice and assistance of an independent agency, such as the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Thank you for writing to the Mayor and I hope that your housing situation is resolved quickly. > Yours sincerely
Public Liaison Officer

March 2011 (so chuffed to get a response!)

Hi Public Liaison Officer,
Thanks for getting back to me. For once it is not an individual case that I wish to see the Mayor about; it is on behalf ofthe borough in which he lives.
Five minutes is all I ask, all I want, actually all I need.
You can sit in aswell if you like, I'll be coming by myself unless it's an inset day at my son's primary, in which case he'll come along too.
Let me know, it would mean such a great deal, to everyone I think!
Kind regards
Sue de Nim

23 March
Dear Sue

Thank you for your further email to the Greater London Authority. In order to assist you further please could you provide full details of the matter you would like to discuss with the Mayor.
Yours sincerely
Development & Environment

Dear Development and Environment,
Thanks for getting back to me. I'd like to talk to the Mayor about a postcard I sent the coalition asking for money for the borough. This is why it will only take five minutes of his time.

On my postcard, addressed to the coalition,I put my address as C/O Frank Dobson, David and Ed Miliband, and Coalition members who live in the borough. The Mayor is a coalition member. I must ask his help.

I have asked Frank Dobson to read out my postcard in the House of Commons
I have asked the same of Ed Miliband
The mayor could ask David Cameron or Nick Clegg to meet me so I can ask them directly for the money.
Alternatively he could advise me on what I could do with my postcard (I have a copy, postcards by their very nature can get lost - I'm happy to show it to him)

It has not escaped my notice I have received your email on Budget Day! There is so much money, so much, I do not believe otherwise or I would not approach Mr Johnson. The Mayor is a Camden resident. He has nothing to lose by meeting me or helping me.

A beautiful irony of what I am trying to do for the borough, is that if or rather when I get the money for it, I will not see a penny of it. OK, there's nothing beautiful about that irony but there's also nothing beautiful about any of the cuts to housing. The Mayor and I could get the money together! (The editor of the Ham & High, told me if the money comes back, the story will get the front page. Imagine! )

All the time it takes to drink a cup of tea, that's all I am asking! I hope that's the information you were asking for. It's all the information there is!
Kind regards
Sue de Nim

April 2011

Dear Ms de Nim
Thank you for your emails to the Mayor, to which I have been asked to respond.
The Mayor's role in housing is a strategic one. That is, he is responsible for producing the London Housing Strategy and setting the overall aims for the investment to deliver the strategy. As such, it is not appropriate for him to intervene in campaigns related to specific boroughs. However, the Mayor has been making the case to the government about London's need for funding in areas such as housing and transport.
The Mayor is very grateful for your invitation to meet and it is with regret that he must decline on this occasion, as his diary is full with long-standing engagements.
With best wishes for your campaign.
Yours sincerely
Policy Officer
Housing Unit

One-half of knowing what you want is knowing what you must give up before you get it~ Sidney Howard
Never, never, never, never give up.~ Winston Churchill
Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible. ~Doug Larson

No comments: