Thursday 10 September 2009

Another day another lawyer

On Mr Gray's recommendation, who I ran into after taking my boy to Beavers, I went to another solicitors this morning. They'd helped another friend of his, he said, they'd be able to help me.

She was blonde with a friendly face. She took the details of my situation then went upstairs to photocopy the documents. On her return she delivered her bad news. All the lawyers are at full capacity. She was sorry but there was no-one who could take my case.

"I understand," I said. "The Legal Services Commission has reduced funds for legal aid so people like me can't be helped."

The council had a duty of care for me though, they wouldn't see me homeless, she said.
"Ah yes, the council has a duty of care for me, but they don't care about my son do they?"

She suggested I went to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. "I've tried them," I answered.
So she suggested the Community Law Centre. "I've tried them too."
Mary Ward has a drop in for housing issues, I could try that, was her last suggestion. Should I go through the motions just for you reader?

I thanked her, left, and lit a cigarette.

Close every door to me
Hide all the world from me
Bar all the windows
And shut out the light
Do what you want with me
Hate me and laugh at me
Darken my daytime
And torture my night

I know I must find
My own peace of mind
For the Government has promised us
A flat of our own

(Stigmum and oh bugger, can you get Amazing Technicolour Dream Coats on ebay?)

No comments: