Sunday 27 September 2009

The man in Leicester Square

He was in a wheelchair, wearing a flourescent yellow sleeveless jacket, collecting money for disabled children. It was like watching a film, this immobile bright beacon with a swirling mass of people whizzing back and forth around him. It was quite surreal.

I went up to him, gave him a pound, for that was all that he asked. "I think it's really amazing what you're doing," I said.

We chatted. We chatted for half an hour. He'd recently raised enough money for 1800 wheelchairs for children. "I want everybody in the world to have a wheelchair!" He told me of inspirational seminars he attended, that I should come along. "It's not religious or anything like that."

I knew of the speakers he was talking about when he mentioned 'Chicken Soup for the Soul'. People who had nothing and had become very rich and are now giving away their knowledge. They hold seminars with the money raised going to various charities.

He invited me to a seminar next Wednesday, said he would pay. I told him I was babysitting. I told him that me and my son were on the homeless register.

"You don't look homeless," he said.

"I know, that might be my problem, but who knows what homeless people look like, so I'm blogging what I'm going through. I wanted to smash the stereotype but right now I'm feeding into it!" I told him in the future I'd look back at all he was talking about, I had to focus on housing my son now.

He told me about HUB. Humanity Unites Brilliance? That what he said?

In the half hour I spoke to him only four people gave him money. Only four! Placed as he was in the heart of the metropolis!

He made £200 a few weeks ago in Watford, this evening was an experiment he said, he thought why not try it here, it's a clear night. I told him I'd email him to find out. I think I'll do that now!

http://www.wheelchairsfortheworld.org.uk/

No comments: