Saturday 12 September 2009

Death Eaters at the Ministry of Mayhem

"Don't panic!" read the end of 'needs and access's' email. She was answering the issue of my 'Notice Requiring Possession in the email I'd sent her yesterday about changing my support worker. I was about to blog this latter point with you and went into my inbox to see what I'd written but saw this instead.

I was about to go out with Mel to a free film fest about Palestine so I felt it a positive coincidence to have a response from the council as I wouldn't have otherwise gone into my inbox at all.

'Needs and access' said my Notice Requiring Possession wasn't a "Notice to Quit" and my tenancy was secure until next August. It's a "Section 21 Notice" she said. "Routine" apparantly. All the lawyers giving me advice missed that then, with their talk of accelarated court orders...

"At the beginning of 2010 Officers will make contact with you regarding the lease end and will discuss with you the different options that are available to you." I can barely contain my excitment..."I know my options back to front and back again," I replied. "And like I've repeatedly said to the Council, the best one for my son is a permanent tenancy." (I also reminded her my bike was an issue as important when bidding)

I said the Council did not care about our best options, nor that my son lives with an adult with mental health issues, having ignored letters from psychologists.

It was the point she made about not knowing where I was on the bidding list in relation to the flat I've bid on this week that got to me though. The list is all bollocks reader. She told me everything I already know, that bidding closes on Monday and the results will be shown in a few weeks. (I'm going to skulk downstairs next Wednesday and Thursday to see what individuals have been shortlisted.)

"Nor has the Council ever told me exactly why in recent years, my son and I have fallen so far down the waiting list." I went on. "We were 25th and thereabouts three years ago. Now we can be anything upwards of 150th." (Damn, should have said we were once 6th on the list and I turned down the property not knowing that if Number One has said yes, then I should too. Note to self: Do not write from the heart. Think first.)

"Does my child matter to the Council at all?" I continued, for this is the point. "It is important I understand all this."

She's forwarded my support worker email to the 'relevant manager'. Lucky me, I slagged them all off to her in my email.

I went to meet Mel who's a support worker for women suffering domestic violence. "You look manic," she said. "Your eyes are like saucers."

Well it does drive you mad, dealing with the Ministry of Mayhem. Now where can I get a wand?

No comments: