Friday 18 September 2009

I get knocked down, I get up again.

I went to bed at 9.15 last night. Altogether better than falling asleep in front of the tv than waking up at midnight, then again at 4am.

Jo texted as I closed my eyes. "Sorry didn't call (Wednesday). Fell asleep..U ok? I drove up to parents 2day, back sunday. Big hug x x"

"Just got into bed cos think I'm cracking up blogging everything. Don't worry not calling but thanks so much for your timely text. Big hug too x"

"Sleep tight. Try to empty your mind. Lots of love x"

I don't know when I woke up but I guess it was around half one. School, Council, State dancing ceilidhs through my cranium. I listened to my breathing, my son's, I asked my angels to help. My phone said 2.16. School, Council, State morris dancing through my mind. I listened to my breathing, my son's I implored my angels to help. My eyes were too sore to look again at my phone. School, Council, State breakdancing in my brain. On and on thoughts danced, over and over as I looked to my angels and listened to my breathing son.

I was calm when I heard my son get up. Calm when the alarm went off and he said "Mummy, I've finished the first chapter of Harry Potter!"

Do you know what? I won an important battle yesterday. I've not got the flat, but ex support worker rang to say I'd been put on his caseload. Victory! My other support worker is a nice guy but like I said to the Council. "He's part time and I'm not a part time problem."

I had a bath, and although the sky is blue blue blue I put aside my jeans and wore my miniskirt with tights and black boots. I put on a little bit of mascara, a little bit of lipgloss, and took my son to school.

I approached the bench just as a parent I don't know liberated it. My son on my knee, pointing out his friends in his classroom. When the bell went he said "I'll go in on my own mummy". My boy! At the class meeting Wednesday, Year 2 teachers had told us to encourage our children to go to class alone, not follow them in and when I told my son this he initially balked.

I saw Media Mum, I hadn't got round to phoning, but her father in law had told her about my son's birthday. All five boys can come now. I'll text the ex for he's buying the tickets for the spaghetti meatballs 3d film at the Imax. Well I hope he is, after our blow out the other day....

Walking home I run into Peggie, who has relented and said that I can help her. In a few weeks time I'll be taking her son to school because she won't be well enough to.

The posts I wrote about School surprised me but they clarified something in my mind. A couple of years ago I had my son down for a faith school. When he got accepted I felt like 10,000 elephants were sitting on my chest. I couldn't breathe. This school was my third and only secular choice. I rang and they agreed to put him on the waiting list. I prayed.

Over at Ellie's son's school, some parents think this one is "rough". It isn't, but there's always one bad apple in a bag, so I've been told.

No comments: