Thursday 10 September 2009

The bike's sorted, will my son be?

I have just put a bid on the two empty properties in my block. You will know the outcome of this next week.

After four years of asking, I have finally been given a shed in our block. No more carrying the bike up seven flights! No more carrying my six year old, soon to be seven, on the back of mine! Oh happy day.... shouldn't it be?

I went into the housing office to collect my key. I asked them if they could help me with the rather huge problem of my "Notice Requiring Possession."

"I can't, I'm not rehousing," said the woman.

I told her that our accommodation was temporary and we'd been given notice FOR NO REASON. She was surprised to hear we weren't tenants on the transfer list.

"Tenants? On a transfer?" I said. "No we're not tenants, we're nothing."

"But I thought all children were priortitised," she said. "Five years you've been waiting?"

"Maybe they are, but not mine." I said.

"Why?" She looked dumbfounded.

"I don't know, I've asked. Could you ask for me?"

"I can't. I'm not rehousing."

At this point the man next to her interrupted and said "She should take it up with the council if children are a priority."

"Don't say that!" she says. "We don't know. I thought they were but maybe not..."

I came home and remembered it was Thursday, bidding day. I put a bid on three properties but it's here that I want, where there is room for the baby, the bike and me.

I send another email to "Needs and Access". With this possession notice, can my son be seen as an exceptional need. "Last month someone was housed with less points than us. It is possible."

Today I wish I had a zillion followers. Or had a hotline to Tony Blair. "Four and a half years ago I wrote asking for help after you pledged to help each and every one of us. WILL YOU ANSWER ME NOW?"

I never wrote to Gordy. He never said "British homes for British people." He said "jobs".

Pfft. It's that King on the Housing Executive Board that can do something. Him and "Needs and Access".

I wish me luck.

No comments: