Wednesday 16 September 2009

Sleepless nights

I've been telling my son recently that he must sleep in his own bed because "mummy's not sleeping very well so it doesn't help."

I woke up at about 4.30 this morning and soon after in clambered my boy. "I want to sleep with you mummy because you're warm," which was a change from "my bed's too small".

We chatted abit and he fell asleep. Not long afterwards he wakes up with a shudder. "I dreamed you were hitting me and biting me mummy!" I soothed him, stroking his hand saying "you know mummy wouldn't do that," and we chatted some more before he fell back to sleep.

My mind's whirling about god knows what and suddenly "mummy mummy there are dogs chasing me and they're trying to bite me!"
"No they're not sweetie, they're probably trying to lick you. It's only a dream, you decide what happens, the dogs want to lick you, they're being friendly."

Dawn broke and he sat up with a book of Horrid Henry. I dozed beside where my night's worries came crashing to the shore. The letter to Brown. In it the letter to Blair. In it asking him if he'll lose next year's election, would he legislate "None of the Above" on the ballot card before he goes. Brown's letter is more political than Blairs. Brown's isn't purely about me like Blair's. "What have I done?" popped into my head when yesterday morning I was "got to be done!"

I decide I should go and talk to the school's mentors. If his nightmares and not sleeping are a precedent of what's to come while I fight all this, well I should really let the school into the picture. Not that he'll fall asleep in class, but children can get wired when they're tired.

The mentor was with another parent.

Oh our children our children. There are a number of kids in that school living in hostels. I don't know how many in temporary like mine.

It can wait, I'll see how he sleeps tonight.

No comments: