Thursday 17 September 2009

Talking to mentors, not dementors

I had the opportunity to talk to my son's teacher yesterday afternoon, just to let her know the score, should my son start playing up in class or his school work start to suffer. She was cool, as I knew she would be. She suggested I talk to the Deputy Head. I told her I'd done this, and the Deputy had said I could talk to her anytime, but as she was the Deputy, and probably had enough on her plate, I would talk to the mentors. "The school has these structures in place to help all of you which is brilliant. I'll log it with them."

The mentor was available this morning. He helped me when I was doing my Masters, was under a great deal of stress, and wasn't there for my son.

That was the first thing he said: "How's did it go with your Masters? Have you been able to find a job with it?" and I said. "No, but what's funny is that I graduated last week and missed it. I met a friend last week who said "It was our graduation yesterday and I completely forgot...."!"

I told him I was going to ask if I could take my son out for the day and he said: "We'd have let you do that. It's an important part of what we're doing in the school to promote further education." I didn't know that, but I knew the school would have let me. I'm telling you Reader, my son's school is cool!

Now last night I shouted at my son. Oh stupid things you know. "Come and eat your dinner. I SAID COMEANDEATYOURDINNER!!!" "Stop playing with things on the table, eat your food. I SAID STOPPLAYINGWITHTHINGSONTHETABLEEATYOURFOOD!" 0 to 60 in 0.3 seconds.

Back when my son was two and we were handed notice by the Church, I became like this. Back then I surrendered and went to the doctor - oh go on, give me the drugs! "I'm not going to do that this time," I said to the mentor. "But I'm scared of the impact of all this is going to have on him."

I told the mentor how tough the bidding system was, that I couldn't play the game and "bid for everything" because I couldn't risk being shortlisted "for a place in Kings Cross then have to turn it down because it was too far from the school."

I didn't have to explain, justify myself, there wasn't any need. This was a community school, he said. They want children to be from the community, be part of the community. If a child lives too far away, they risk being late, which means they miss out on important elements of numeracy, literacy, subjects taught in the morning.

Kings Cross was a good example. It's three miles away. Sure I can cycle it but a child shouldn't have to. Not only would he or she be knackered when he or she got into class but London roads are dangerous. I know. I sing "It's not my day to die, it's not my day to die, oh no no it's not, it's not my day to die!" ALL THE TIME especially when I'm in the city.

We had a good chat, mentor and I. I admitted I was paranoid about the social services. "Alot of mums I met in hostels are, it goes with the territory."

It felt good to have a conversation with someone this week and be understood, be heard.

There might very well be good schools in Kings Cross but I like this one, my son's doing well here, I know my son is safe here. I would only upset his education if I were moving out of the capital and I'm not ready to do that. I love London. It's good to single people like me, tons to do, but then I've told you that before.

No comments: