Friday 18 September 2009

My letter to Brown

As promised. I've just looked over the balcony and there aren't any shortlisted individuals outside. I'll be quick though for I do want to look out for them and if the opportunity arises, walk into the flats with them with my passport. You have to bring I.D you see.

Dear Gordon Brown,

You have pledged "Good homes to rent and buy for the British People." I write to ask for a home for my son and myself; a permanent, secure, and affordable tenancy.
We have received a "Notice Requiring Possession from Pathmeads Housing Association (where we live in temporary accommodation) in accordance to its lease agreement with Camden Council, on whose homeless register we have been on for four years.
If we do not accept the Council's Private Rental Scheme, it says we will be placed in a hostel. My son turns seven in a few weeks time. I cannot put him through this again. I shouldn't have to.
The private rental sector is insecure. It also keeps me locked into this benefits trap forever. Very few one income families can afford the high rents of this sector. The Scheme also allows a council to say it has "reduced homelessness" which is a manipulation of the true facts.
Camden's Libdem/Conservative coalition are fond of saying it is because of you that it must auction off existing council properties. All political parties therefore are leaving my son and myself in this recurring situation. I want the best chance for my family too Mr Brown.
I accept there is a housing crisis but there are still empty properties. I placed a bid on three last week close to my son's school; a bidding process I have been following for five years. The Council will still not tellme why my son and I have fallen so far down the waiting list in recent years. Perhaps your team could look into this for me.
I enclose the letter I sent to your predecessor, Tony Blair, in 2005. This will give you a sense of our history.
On a different theme, which I'll mention whilst I'm here, is that from what I've read, it is likely that you will lose next year's election. Could I ask therefore, that you legislate "None of the Above" on the ballot paper before that time?
We are not an apathetic nation of voters even though that's what it might look like. We are real people, with real needs; we need a real choice.
I hope your team can help me on behalf of my son. I ask Camden's housing division: "Does my child matter at all?" It hasn't answered me that either.
I wish you well.
Yours sincerely,
Sue de Nim


I'm seeing my MP later down at her surgery. I'm going to force myself not to blog this weekend. I need a break so that I don't break down. I'll be back though.
To fellow stigmums and dads in this situation I'll just say:
Don't Give Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCRZLr9oRw
(I am Kate Bush and I am Peter Gabriel)

No comments: