Wednesday 9 September 2009

In the queue for the Law Centre

"Bounce, bounce, bounce," I say to the Bangladeshi dad infront of me in the queue for the Law Centre. In five years, he and his family have lived in three hostels but have been in temporary accommmodation with a housing association for the past four. I ask him if his temporary accommodation is secure and he tells me it is, but it is expensive. He also tells me he's been offered some two bedroom properties which he turned down because they were too small. "Two single rooms for me, my wife and three children, it's much too small."

I agree with him and understand all his arguments against private rented accommodation. I envy him too, for he doesn't mind where the council houses them. His desire to keep his children in their school, network of friends nearby, isn't as strong as mine. Is it easier if you have a partner, I wonder?

At one point he says "The foreign system is very bad." My hackles rise. "What kind of system do they have in your country?" I ask, knowing that there isn't one.
"People own their property," he says.
"What about those that don't; the poor, the dispossessed?" I say
He stumbles on his answer before saying "stay with family."

Britain has a system, which is good, which is very good. Everyone has a universal right to housing. Even me.
The Libdem/Conservative ideology is to eradicate social housing, from what I am experiencing here.

Great Britain
The United Kingdom

Which do you say?

No comments: