Wednesday 16 December 2009

The council, in a nutshell

Putting the council in a nutshell is very hard because its housing system is possibly the harshest part of it.

I am inside this system yet not inside this system.

I do not know what it would be like to be inside. I tell myself it will be secure and affordable, hopefully warm.

Outside the inside but inside the outside feels like I'm being grinded between two slabs which slowly rotate in opposite directions.

"We are not people in this machine, we are numbers," I'd told the Leader of the Council's Lady when she told me they couldn't intervene in individual cases. "We are just a number, with no feelings, no history, no nothing."

The housing system, in my mind, is about number crunching. I certainly felt crushed on Monday.

Children don't have a number. Like Jill Tweedie, I want to eat my child.

"Do you think this system is fair? Do you think this system is just?"

I forced the Leader of the Council's Lady to answer me. She admitted it wasn't, which was a huge relief. She said it needed changing.

There was no time to ask her: "How?"

I guess that can wait for another day.

No comments: