Wednesday 16 December 2009

My landlady, in a nutshell

Technically, she is not my landlady. She is the owner of the flat. She bought it with me sitting in it a couple of years ago. She took over the lease with my real Landlord. This also ends next August.

She didn't 'choose' me. I have had a million landlords and landladies. So far, other than, with hindsight, the Church, she is the best I've had. I couldn't hand on heart say I've been her best tenant though; I am a bit messy.

On Monday she called the housing association after my own distress call to her.

She told me she got angry with them:

"You treat people like cattle with no consideration for their feelings," she reiterated to me. "You have a duty of care and you should make sure they are properly informed."

I remember now, my housing officer did tell me to 'ignore' the letters. I don't fecking know, these 'letters' are like Medecine Balls to me. I didn't see it coming and it whacked me in the head.

A war of words ensued apparantly with the woman saying 'it wasn't me', it 'isn't personal' and I laughed (is it a laugh or a cackle when something isn't funny?) and mentioned 'The Godfather'.

"She was very wooly with me at first," continued the flat owner. "Until I said 'It's a very cruel thing to do on the 21st of December. It's very biblical. Do you want us to go to the National Press? Then she sharpened up."

I thanked her. She's not young, the owner of the flat; she was in hospital on Sunday night with heart problems.

I had to text her later to say I'd forgotten to mention my heating was on the blink. (I did mention it at the Homeless Person's Unit and the woman there did say she'd note it down but I'm very used to hearing now that it's the housing association's responsibility not the council's. I forgot to mention it to the housing association so used am I to hearing it's the owner of the flat's responsibility.... round and round I go...)

She bought me round a heater yesterday but it didn't work. It may have blown the adapter. The plumber is coming at 9pm tonight. One she trusts, one who's cheap.

"9 pm?" said Artistic mum.
"Oh it's ok, if it was up to the housing association, nothing would happen for weeks."

One more thing about the owner of the flat. She understands my need for a bigger place. She understands my son's needs for his own room. I wouldn't mind having her as a landlady but then I think about the high rents in the private sector and look back towards the Council.

"Shall I call them on your behalf?" she said on Monday.
"OK, yeah, that would be really nice of you. Thanks."

2 comments:

Jennysmith said...

I know you're really going through it, Stig, but at least you have a nice understanding landlady. Our present landlady is a real mean old cow.

Bless you xxxx

Stigmum said...

Some of them are aren't they? It's flipping luck of the draw. Bless you right back xxx