Thursday 17 December 2009

Grrr I Don't Understand

Apologies in advance, I don't know how long I'll keep you here. I've just received a letter from the housing association and I'm going to quote it, so you can think 'oh stigmum you're so thick'...

Dear Ms De Nim
You should by now have received a copy of the Order for Possession made in the Central London County Court on 07 December 2009. (Did you know before me????)

Although the order provides a date for possession, this does not mean that you will have to physically vacate the property on that date, or that a court bailiff will be calling on that date to evict you. It does however mean that your tenancy is at an end, and that after that date we can take steps to enforce our right to possession, which means you would have to move out of the property.

Under the terms of the lease between the owner of the property and us, we need to obtain a Possession Order to ensure that we can give the property back with vacant possession at the end of our lease (yes this I knew, but there's another lease with the council , that it's not renewing with you)

Where the Local Authority who referred you to us has not yet made arrangements for alternative temporary or permanent accommodation for you, we may be able to delay its right to possession of the property from you until an offer of (I fucking hope permanent) accommodation has been made.

(The Council too wants the property back from me. Am I understanding this right? Durr. I guess that's right, it placed me here, it is not renewing it's lease ("It's not your home, it's somewhere you rent" said the Leader of the Council Lady implying a thousand things) ...my son, my sun, my son...)

This I DO NOT UNDERSTAND (the bits in bold that is):
We will however take steps to enforce our right to possession of the property where we are notified by the Local Authority that it has discharged any housing duty owed to you or has decided that it does not owe any duty to you

(I don't get this bold bit, don't get this at all. How do they discharge a duty? By not housing me? When does it not owe any duty to me? In both cases forcing me into the private sector? Or when they find out I'm blogging and they want to 'teach me a lesson' - never bite the Hand, even if it's for good intentions? The Council tell me I'm "intelligent" and "articulate" like they know me or something. Are the answers obvious?)

In these or similar cases circumstances, we will take action to ensure that you leave the property and will ask a Court Bailiff to evict you. You will be informed of the eviction date.

If you do not understand anything in this letter (hmm) or any of the documents you receive from the Court, please telephone your Housing Officer (didn't you tell me he was on leave?)... if you have any queries.

My doctor told me I was "stuck in a rut of negativity" today and had to start thinking positively.

I have to call these people tomorrow. I don't want to do this. I want to 'let go' of my housing worries. The housing association is likely to tell me to contact the council over my queries with them. I don't want to do this either. I felt its hard edge on Monday.

Yours sincerely and a very Happy Christmas
Court Liaison Officer

Ok ok, they didn't say Happy Christmas. That was Stigmum. I'm feeling like I can't breathe.

3 comments:

Writing Sally said...

If nothing else keep breathing. A better time will come x

Anonymous said...

I've read that twice and I still don't understand. Have they not heard of plain English? I'd ask them what exactly they mean, but by the sounds of it they are NOT going to physically force you out on that date. If you have nowhere to go, I'd stay put for now.

Stigmum said...

Mammas thank you very much. Rosie, I know it's not great to be happy someone doesn't understand something, but I'm so relieved that you don't understand either. When the Council responds, I will let you know.
Beingmumbeingme, I will keep breathing, but I shall also try to keep breathing without Nico Teen's help, that you are right and that a better time will come.
Thank you both xxx