Friday 18 December 2009

Explain this to me oh Council my keeper

This is the email I have just sent Quality, Allocations and Permanent. I may give the Housing Association a rest today. I'm a bit tired, ya know....

Dear Quality, Allocations, Permanent,

Yesterday I received a letter from Pathmeads telling me that by now I should have received a copy of the Order for Possession and that it does not mean I have to physically leave this property on that day or that a Court Bailiff will be calling on Monday to evict me and my son. Fortunately I discovered this on Monday when the owner of the property intervened on my behalf after Pathmeads told me they couldn't find anything about this rupture to my tenancy 'on the system'.

They have told me that if I do not understand anything in the letter they have sent me, to telephone my Housing Officer. On Monday I was told he may be on leave, but what I do not understand relates to the Council, so they may well direct me back to you anyway.

This is what I have trouble understanding:

'Where the Local Authority who referred you to us has not yet made arrangements for alternative temporary or permanent accommodation for you, we may be able to delay its right to possession of the property from you until an offer of accommodation has been made.' I will call them and ask them to explain this to me but you also may be able to explain this to me.

'We will however take steps to enforce our right to possession of the property where we are notified by the Local Authority that it has discharged any housing duty owed to you or has decided that it does not owe any duty to you.' This, I do not understand. I do not understand at all.

How does the Council discharge any housing duty owed to me and my son? Under what circumstances?
How does the Council decide that it does not owe any duty to us?

I know it is Christmas so I apologise for sending this to you today. If you could just send me an email saying the Council will answer these questions as soon as possible, I would be grateful.

I do wish you all a Happy Christmas. I can't tell you the relief that my son and I won't be spending it in a hostel.

Kind regards,

Sue de Nim

Now I will breathe. With the help of Nico Teen naturally.

No comments: