Monday 7 December 2009

Thai Square

I thought it might be a restaurant but no, it's a swanky bar in a narrow space with a dancefloor at the end, cordoned off for a private party. There's a nice atmosphere, a party atmosphere. It's nice to be out!

"Let's have a cocktail," says Phil. "My treat."

"No mine, it's your birthday celebration, let me!"

"You can get one later."

Ash is on antibiotics and can't drink. Phil and I have champagne cocktails with pomegranites. Yummy yummy lovely yum!

Ash find her two friends, Bec and Bec - the three of them met on a yoga holiday having never met one another before. The way they get on, you'd think they met at uni years ago!

Me and one of the Bec's pull a chair out so the five of us aren't sitting in a line. The group divides into natural chatter with me and Phil talking about the economy then Medjugorje in Croatia where the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to children. Phil, my mum, a woman I met on the tran siberian have all been and all come back with amazing experiences. I tell her I want to go, I've heard so much about it, maybe next year, take my son as part of my Sunday School Teachings ha ha.

Time for another drink! Ash on another soda and cranberry, Phil on a vodka cranberry, both of which look identical so I have to remember which is which hand! I just can't decide then spy the 'martinis'. Lychee Martini - Vodka and lychee liquer. Perfect! It came with a lychee in the bottom of the glass so healthy too! I bought two rounds that evening, £15 each.

The three of us chat away, the music putting us in a dancy mood. People have been turned away from the dancefloor though apparantly, due to private party.A track comes on that the girls recognise but I don't but me and Phil get up and take our chances in the private party area. The party goers are all in a circle playing catch with a balloom. In our little corner, we are the only ones dancing so we head back.

The bar's filling up. Two guys are looking at our group. One looks quite debonair while his friend looks very English, the type you'd introduce to your mother. Or maybe the type I could introduce to mine.

The next thing, Debonair's chatting to the Becs. I'm talking to Ash about kids; mine and she points out that May I Introduce You To My Mother, pushed back from the crowds, has practically got his arse in my face.

He turns round and ask if he can share a corner of my seat. We start talking; about a beach he went to in South Wales, then somehow the Afghan war, the economy, crime. He asks where I think it's all heading. "To riots I imagine," not telling him the teensy weeny thing about my life. I find this man, who is physically so not my type, growing on me. He tells me he was on Newsnight recently, that's he'll be on Gordon Ramsey's F Word this Christmas.

"What do you do?" I ask
"I have an internet business."
"What do you sell?"
"What do you do?
"No you!"
"I don't want to say." oh booorrrrrrrrrrring.
"What's your job?" he asks me.
"I'm a mother."
"Is that all? What else?"
"What do you mean 'is that all'? It's alot!"
"My sister has two kids and she works."
"Does she have a cleaner?"
"No, she shares that with her husband."
"There you go, I don't have a husband, for me it's a job."

I quizz him again on his job. "Are you in politics? In the media?" He says no then changes the subject. "What are your plans tomorrow?"
"Ah, no plans! Sleep! My son's coming back in the afternoon. You?"
"I'm having lunch with a Japanese friend."
"Ah Japanese food, sashiburi!"
"I like the food; sushi..."
"I don't like that but excuse me, I really need the loo!"

I come back and Phil's chatting to him, Ash is chatting to Bec, and the other Bec to Debonair. I sit down but everyone's deep in their conversations. I don't feel like a gooseberry, so stuffed am I on lychees but figure it's an optimum time to go for a fag.

The bar is heaving when I get back. It's been so long since I've been to a place like this. Everyone's drunk and enjoying themselves. Some are wearing masks, other guys are wearing viking outfits. I have to push and weave past people to get back to my seat.

We girls had planned to go onto a club called Fez or something but when Ash and one of the Becs say they are going home, me, Phil and Becs decide to stay.

I go and make a request for Video Killed The Radio Star then realise they are very unlikely to play this and go back and ask for Lady GaGa's Bad Romance.

They're playing The Black Eyed Peas, Michael Jackson, all kinds of stuff so we all head onto the dance floor. Phil can be quite wild when she has drink down her and dances around May I Introduce You To My Mother who can't believe his luck but doesn't know what to do with it which is very funny. We're all laughing, we're all dancing and suddenly boof, the lights go on.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Me, never wanting an evening to end suggests we go for a coffee. May I Introduce You To My Mother is up for it, so's Phil, so's Becs but Debonair isn't. Chatting earlier it transpired he lives in St John's Wood. North like me. He'd said we should share a cab. I was up for that of course, Phil wouldn't have to pay a cab for me, I could go halves.

So that was it. The party broke up. A great fun, fab night, finito.

No comments: