Wednesday 16 December 2009

A cup of tea, in a nutshell

I want a cup of tea. I have no teabags. I do not want Lemon and Ginger. I do not want Green. I want Builders with two spoons of sugar to help the medicine go down.

In a high octane flurry I go into the kitchen and rather desperately, as though my life depends on it, search frantically. Isn't there a bag ANYWHERE?

What's this? I didn't know I had this! "Tea bag selection"! Oooooh!

I open it, all fingers and thumbs. Earl Grey! Darjeeling! Where's English Breakfast? I want English Breakfast! English Breakfast reminds me of a funny story.

Years and years and years ago, I worked in a self service restaurant. On this particular day, myself and a girl called Maria were working on the 'drinks' counter. She on hot, me on soft.

A man asks her what teas she has. She tells him.

"What does English Breakfast Tea taste like?" he enquired with a very posh voice.

"Eggs, bacon, sausage, what d'ya fink?" she replied deadpan.

An old memory but one that still makes me laugh.

Yes, here it is! A cup of tea saves the day!

No comments: