Monday 7 December 2009

Getting to Putney

Phil calls me in the morning. Am I still ok for going out in Putney?"Yes, I just have to figure out how to get there and more importantly, how to get home. I might just get a cab."

"Oh you can't do that, it'll be so expensive."

I tell her it's a one off, I have a knack for falling asleep on night buses, I really don't mind. Phil says she'll call her friend Ash to see if we can go out more central, but she herself is meeting friends.

"Don't worry," I tell her. "I want to come, it's not every week. I'll just drink less."

She ends up saying she'll find out how much a cab is and pay for it herself. I don't want her to do this but we'll chat about it at the end of the night. If I need her help, I'll ask her.

We decide to glam up! I wear a little gypsy type dress from Miss Selfridge my brother and ex wife bought me a decade ago for Christmas. I teem it with fishnets and boots. I'd love to wear the stilletto's my brother and sister in law got me but I never know how much I'll end walking...

I put on makeup. Charcoal eyes and red lips.

I decide to take a train to Richmond and then a bus to Putney. It's the most straightforward way. It's drizzling so I wear my black hoodie under my mock leather jacket.

"You look nice," says a girl, friend of my neighbour, as we step into the lift. I say thank you and tell her I'm going to Putney. "Putney!" she says. "How will you get home?"

"My friend's offered to pay for my cab."

"Wow, that's a good friend, she really wants you to be there."

"Yeah, and I really want to be there too so it's really nice."

The train takes me to Richmond. I find the busstop fairly easily. I sit downstairs where I can see the location screen because I have no idea when to get off.

My phone makes a funny noise. It's a reminder. Phil's birthday, Putney, 8pm. Fuck fuck fuck. I forgot fuck fuck. Not even a card and she never forgets mine.

After what feels like a million years I get to Putney. I ask a kebab seller where Lower Richmond Road is. He sends me to Upper Richmond Road. I ask a group of Poles who head me straight.

Thinking I've gone too far, I ask a man who looks at me, then walks right on staring at the pavement. Phil texts asking if I'm in Putney. I tell her I'm lost. She phones but I can't hear her, there's no connection.I ask another man and he tells me exactly where to go and how.

I see the golden light of Thai Square! I see my beautiful Phil! I see her beautiful Ash! We three enter the hallowed doors of who know's what's awaiting us!

No comments: