Sunday 20 December 2009

Magical New Year

A couple of months ago my old school friend Georg rang to see how I was.

"What are you doing for New Year?" she asked.
"No plans, you?"
"Dave's working nights so staying in."
"Oh shame, we could come and join you but..."
"I don't think Dave will appreciate the kids running around when he's trying to sleep the next day!"
"No, but listen, I've put two bids on properties in this block. If I get one, you guys come and stay with me! Your kids can go in with my boy, and you with me! Sorted!"
"Oh yeah that would be great, let me know!"

Beneath all the shit, there's a little nugget of gold that one hangs on to; hope.

Two years ago I spent New Year's Eve on my own. Watched Jools Holland's Hootenanny, at midnight kissed my son. It was cool. The next day, New Year's Day, me and my son went for a walk on the Heath. The sky was blue and the sun shining but I felt guilt at the ache in my heart that myself and my son wasn't enough for me. It was odd and it was horrible on such a day as this. Luckily, the feeling only lasted until we got home and I've not felt it since.


Last year I spent New Year's Eve at my parents. Went to bed at 10pm and woke up at 11.58! I lent over and gave my son a kiss. Lunch the next day with him, my parents, sister and brother in law was warm. Nothing and no-one was missing.

"What are you doing for New Year?" asked Em when I went to visit her a few weeks ago.
"Well, if we've moved, then my old school friend is coming to stay!"
"If you haven't?"
"I dunno, stay in, it was ok the last time, like any other night in."
"Well if you don't move and your friend can't stay, come and spend it with us!"
"Really?"
"Yeah. Every year there's a party around someone's house. Last year it was around ours. All the kids are there, your son will have a blast now he knows them all."
"Oh wow! Can I let you know!"
"Yeah, and then the next day we all go and watch the men play football. Come along to that!"
"Yeah! That sounds really good! Cool, thank you!"

I have to make two calls, to two very special women.

I was rather hoping, when I started this blog in January, that I wouldn't have to carry my housing problems into next year, for the 6th year running. Lucky you reader!

I can sing though; Oh Lord will you get me a two bedroom flat and while that's on replay, thank my lucky stars that's not all I'm taking into 2010.

No comments: