Monday 14 March 2011

Dreams of 2012 - Horizon's Armageddon

Back in January, just following the earthquake in Pakistan, I had a dream (a dream? a nightmare?) that the world was ending. The Mayan prediction that in 2012 the world would end crashed into my sleep unconsciousness where I was told, get this, I was told to watch the Hollywood blockbuster "2012"
Why the fuck would I do that? I asked my dream. Earthquakes in Pakistan, Haiti, dead birds falling from the sky in America, I do not need to watch some disaster movie.
You need to learn to live in the present moment, said the dream. You have to learn to live now and make the most of every moment.

The next day, coincidentally, Sainsbury's was selling the "2012" dvd for £3 and there was only one copy left. So I bought it. And no, I haven't watched it. With recents events in Japan where a whole town has been wiped out and 10,000 people are missing...

BBC 4 are airing "A Horizon Guide to Armageddon". On Thursday, at 9pm. Well it wasn't to know I suppose. "A depressing kind of greatest hits from Horizon" says the Sunday Times critics choice. "..a guide to the end of the world that will make any little human worries seem trivial," it continues.

Climate change, destruction of the Gulf Stream, asteroids from space, "Supervolcanoes, influenza, nuclear war: the possibilities aren't so much endless as horribly final."

There is comfort apparently; Scientists are busy working on our ensuring our planet's survival.

Having failed to watch 2012, I may tune into this.

Live in this moment. Live NOW. NOW NOW NOW. This second. Arse on a cushion on the floor fingers tapping on the keyboard blue sky visible through the window. Right now I am safe. I hope you are too.

No comments: