Friday 12 February 2010

The private sector - the fear

I met a mum earlier today, who's in a hostel with her two kids. She's been there for three years.

"Haven't they offered you the PRS?" I ask.

"Yes but I don't take it."

"Why?"

"You see them [families] go and then come back again."

Sbe didn't need to say more to me.

On Tuesday, with the three men, I was saying the same thing. Bounce, bounce, bounce our children.

The Tory was saying if I take these "creative steps" to social housing, I would definately get somewhere for my son and I afterwards.

"Don't say that, you can't say that," said Lease End.

1 in 10 people in hostels get housed.
2 in 10 from the PRS get housed.

That's what he said, selling me the advantages of the Private Rental Sector.

One of my little shocks I give you now.

Tory said he would 'monitor' my case. He would make sure I get housed.

I wanted, I so want, to believe him.

It's not the first time I've heard: "Don't say that, you can't say that." The first time was at the housing office last year when the woman said she thought all children were prioritised and the man next to her said "No, no, you can't say that".

It's wrong to assume things, even if you work for the council. The Tory learnt something on Tuesday, or maybe he didn't, how am I to know....

There is NO guarantee that my son and I will get permanently housed taking this "creative" route we are being forced to take.

Down here, we all know that.

Was I lucky today or am I just a good story and nothing will get done?

No comments: