Tuesday 23 February 2010

Siblings

Home from my shopping trip, my sister is round my parents place with her daughter.

I tell her to read the comment.

"What do you think? Sis, what do you think?" She's drawing along with her daughter. I want to know though.

"Sis, what do you think?"

"Some people might think you're ungrateful."

Woo, that's a medicine ball. Didn't see that coming. Does the backlash begin here at Home? "What do you mean?"

"I just think it's ambiguous."

"What? No it's not."

The phone goes. I answer it. It's my eldest brother.

"I've just read the piece, it's great!" he says.

"Thanks bro, I really needed to hear that. I really need to hear something supportive."

I go and lie down. Thinking all the time is so tiring.

Ungrateful ungrateful what else are they all going to say? The chattering classes will be the worst won't they? Those who have no idea what it's like down here.

"Screw your courage to the sticking place," says Stigmum.

What? What? Who said that? Who? I know Shakespeare but who? Who?

The answer isn't forthcoming. I give up. Zzzzzzzzzzzip. The lights go off on the motherboard.

No comments: