Friday 14 January 2011

Allen Carr's Easy Way

I bought Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking years ago. A paperback with a free cd included of the author reading his introduction.

I read the book a year or so later.

I listened to the cd for the first time today. Oh Allen! You've got such a lovely English voice! I don't know why I thought it might be American! Doh! What a joy listening to you! I'm sure I'm going to listen to you again and again and again, as much as I need to. Might lend it out to someone but I'll always want it back!

Allen Carr died a few years ago, from lung cancer. It made me so sad when I heard.

I was wrong yesterday by the way when I said it takes four days for Nico Teen to leave the system. According to Carr's book, it takes three weeks for 99% of it to leave your body. 1% is always lurking there together with car and bus fumes and other urban pollutions.

When he stopped smoking, he started workshops because he wanted everyone to quit and feel as free as him.

He tells you to carry on smoking while you read the book, unless you're a non-smoker or you've recently given up.

People could smoke in his workshops too so week in and week out he sat in other people's fog willing them to be free from their addiction. Maybe that's what killed him, God rest his soul.

His book, if you haven't read it, is a really good read. He gets it you know, he gets how we smokers feel, he doesn't patronise or lecture. He'd tried and failed to give up his 100 a day habit loads of times, so fortunately he doesn't think I'm crap for stopping, starting, stopping, starting. He even says I can carry on smoking after I've read the book, if I want to!

Yesterday I told my new nice doc that I'd stopped and started again. She didn't say anything, just kind of nodded. Then I told her I was going to try again using Allen Carr and her eyes shined as she smiled. No patches for me!

Allen Carr, I do so hope they start giving out your audio cd at doctor's surgeries and the like, because even though your method hasn't worked on me yet, I do think your way is the best way!

Thank you so very, very much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stigmum,

It's such a shame Allen didn't read out the whole audio book - but he only read the introduction himself.

If you let me know which part of the UK you live in I'll check where our nearest clinic is and see if I can comp you a session (if you'd like it).

jd@allencarr.com

All the best
John Dicey
Worldwide Director
Allen Carr's Easyway

Stigmum said...

Do you know, I was thinking exactly the same thing! Maybe he didn't think about it. I thought about it after writing the intro should be given out at NHS outlets. Not everybody reads. Not every smoker can read.
Maybe you could do it!! Did you know him? One of his friends could do it with the intro remaining him, Allen! Just an idea!
I'll send you an email about the session, thank you very much! Even if I've stopped by then it might still be a good idea.(My cousin started again after having stopped for 13 years! Can you imagine? I can....)
I was just chatting to a friend about group therapy the other day but only for the social aspect! I don't actually need it with the book, so one of his 'one day' workshops might be good.
Thanks!