Tuesday 18 January 2011

Disability Living Allowance

On learning about my recurring mental health problems she was toally shocked I've never applied for DLA, Disability Living Allowance.
"How long has it been going on?
"What? Now? When?"
"Your depression."
"Oh God, since 2004." (I didn't count the pre-natal darkness, or being with the Foca)
"And you've never applied for it? In all that time?"
"Well, no."
"Why not???"
"Well, I just thought if I had it, I'd think I had it because I'm a nutter and well, I don't want a piece of paper reminding me I'm a nutter. I don't want to think I'm mad."
"Well that's silly," she said (and as I write this I am inclined to agree with her, my reasons that is) "You should think about getting it now, especially while you're going through all of this (I told her I was seeing a therapist tomorrow). Why not, you're entitled to it and the extra bit of money might help. I can't believe that all these years....You worked before you had your baby, you're entitled like everyone else with medical needs. It'll stop when you go back to work."

You get nothing for going back to work - did she say that at some point? I do want to protect on here as well as inform...

"You mustn't brand yourself," she said, wrenching me back from my reverie.

Fuck me, I thought. "Brand yourself." "Brand" - that is a good word.

I wrote down what she said.

2 comments:

Jean said...

She sounds very helpful, did you take her advice and apply for DLA?

Stigmum said...

I never did apply for it (feel abit of a muppet after talking to her!) Perhaps I should do now but all the paperwork you have to fill in, doctor's notes to provide, then the government checks, this year. A bit late for me I think, I should have done it when I was first advised to in 2005. I didn't know I'd be laid down so long though.. well you don't really do you?!