Tuesday 18 January 2011

Barriers to work - childcare

Cutting funds for children's services. My son's school might have to close its after school club.
"When I was doing my masters, I had to find a childminder just for one afternoon," I told the job centre consultant. "£8 an hour they charge."
"Oh I know and soon with the funding cuts they are going to have the monopoly and will be able to charge what they like."
"I got very jealous yesterday afternoon in the library," I carried on. "A father talking to a nanny, his child knew the children she was with - "Oh we have a nanny," he said. I shook my head - all that it means, all that it means.......
"Yes, it's very easy for some people," she empathised.
"Yes, some children aren't deprived of anything. Have someone to drop them off at school, take them to clubs..."

No I didn't say 'it isn't fair', I simply tailed off. It's just how it is isn't it, just how it is. Some people are very lucky.

Do they realise it I wonder....

No comments: