Sunday 30 January 2011

Leaps of faith

When it was time for our final cigarette, we were told to go into one of the smoking rooms and not chat to one another. What we were all about to do was a big decision and we've all had to make big decisions in our lives
We were told to make a vow to ourselves, a promise and I thought shit, this is it, I have to sit down.
Cross legged by the bin I breathed back huge lungfuls of 'Old Virginia but I wasn't feeling panic, nor was I feeling excited.
I was thinking of the fly who goes for a curious taste of the nectar in the pitcher plant and gets caught..It can't make any bid for freedom, it gets munched up.
I thought I'd better stand up to finish my fag, that way my feet could get unstuck.
I was dizzy as I rose, staggered abit. Couple more drags on the cig, I put it out in the sand and I walked out the room not knowing quite what had happened.
But whatever had happened, it felt really fecking cool!!

No comments: