Tuesday 18 January 2011

Branding oneself. Being branded.

"Nothing brands you," said the job centre consultant.
"The only thing that brands you is yourself."

How right she was, how little she knew

Stigma
Stigmatised
Stigmum
Single mother stigma
Benefits stigma
Housing stigma
Smoking stigma
Drinking stigma
Mental Health stigma
Stigma
Stigma
Stigmas

Stigmum - the brand
It's why I made it up
While half of society don't judge us, the other half think nothing of bashing us over and over
The Tory Government, one example- bish bash bosh brand.
I could be wrong, of course I could.

I have a purpose in branding myself - through Stigmum
but you - YOU - you who might be reading
Nothing brands you, you hear?
The only thing that brands you is yourself.
So STOP IT
Don't brand yourself in negative ways
BE KIND TO YOURSELF

Though if you are a reader who never does any such thing, but assumes that a life on benefits is a life of petals, by means do read on. Do not think of this as me. When I write I think of people like me. Sometimes in the past I have felt that I carry their emotions because when I've spoken to them, they have felt like I have, men and women alike.
Like I've said before, like I'll no doubt say again
I could be anybody.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I think that you're totally right about being branded...but I also think that many in the Uk are obssessed with branding people..since its a means of making them feel better...especially if they're suffering from low-self esteem.

Stigmum said...

You may be right about our obsession, but it's not always a means of making people feel better, it's also used to reinforce stereotypes. Nor do I think the problem is confined to the UK but then I don't know where you're from!