Sunday 16 January 2011

"Where are you going???"

Chatting to Birthday Boy's friend at the pub last Friday night about our plans for the weekend.
He was going to take down his christmas tree.. oh we chuckled, then he asked me what I was up to.
"Tomorrow night I'm going out with Annie and a friend of our's Issy, don't know where then on Sunday, if it's not a late one, I'm going to go to church."
"Where are you going?" he said, standing back in surprise (as I guessed he would to be honest, maybe why I said it)
"Church!"
"Why????"
"Cos, well, I like the songs, but I might head to the Latin mass in Mayfair. The choir's really beautiful."
"So a concert for you then?"
"Exactly!"

A sizeable conversation ensued about religion. I told him when I found spritituality in my twenties, God for me became a word meaning the universe. I got into the habit of going back to church when I was putting my son through his holy communion. Birthday Boy's friend is a confirmed athiest but one who was strictly bought up like me. I like chatting with them. Well, with all sorts to be true.

So yeah, off I went to church this morning. Was late, bit rude I know but there we go. Amazing I made it at all.

Because it was in latin, they didn't sing one of my favourite hymns that was playing in my head this morning:

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me bring your love.
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord
Please help me kick that Nicoteeeeeeeeen

Oh Master grant that I may never seeeeeeeeeek

I haven't in mind to mess up the rest, the original lyrics are good though.

Why do I like going now?

In her book Angels in my hair, Lorna Bryne says she was told by angels that they are always to be found in churches. I find that very comforting. I took the opportunity to say a little prayer for Mr Carr, in thanks to his helping me.

I like the songs and music too!

Throughout the service Stiggers wouldn't stop whispering about all kinds of stuff in my ears so I couldn't tell you what the priest said in his sermon. Nor can I recall what she was rambling on about either so you're spared!

Rejoice!

No comments: