Sunday 16 January 2011

"How To Stop Your Child Smoking"

When my dad found out I was smoking, all those years ago, he bought me a carton.
"Gee! Thanks dad!"
He meant well, with his reverse psychology, but it didn't work, I was hooked and didn't want to stop.
He started smoking when he was 11 and at 15 his dad bought him a packet and so he quit. Once he was allowed to do it, he couldn't see the point in carrying on, he'd said. He took it up again six years later. Stopped completely in his forties I think, maybe fifties, not sure.
A friend of mine I'd kept in touch with after I was sent away to school, her mum bought her fags too.
We had cool parents!!

Carr wrote a book, "How To Stop Your Child Smoking." I'm going to buy it.

My mother struggled with the Willpower Method. Succeeded but struggled.

When I've been really desperate, my parents have gone out and bought me a pack. I thank them for that. Cravings are horrible.You become obsessed. Mentally, physically, obsessed. It's not, erm, what I'd call one of the perks...

When I gave up using the Easyway method a few years ago, she saw me reading this book, the same one I have now.

"We never had that kind of help when I was giving up," she said.

She also said exactly the same thing about those Tiny Tearaway programmes on the telly. Parenting ey? Who'd do it?!

There's all kinds of help now, for anything, if you want it.

I want it.

No comments: