Monday 17 January 2011

First Steps

I make my way over to the Margaret Pyke Centre off Tottenham Court Road. Was way too hungover on Friday. Today was the day.

"Hi. I'd like to book an appointment with a psychosexual councillor please."
"Have you been here before?"
"No, my doctor said she could refer me but, I dunno, when she said I could refer myself, I figured it would be quicker."
"You do know you won't see a councillor straight away, you'll have to see a consultant first."
"Yes, my doctor told me."
"How urgently do you need the appointment?"
"Pffff.."
"I have an appointment at 3.30 this afternoon if you want?"
"No, I have a child."
"How about wednesday at (the clock chime)?"
"Yeah, that should be ok. Thanks."
"Would you like me to write it down?"
"If you could, that would be great."

I slipped the piece of card in my Easyway to Stop Smoking book. Two things I must remember. Two things I must remember whilst simultaneously forgetting the causes that put them in my bag.

I walked out with a strong desire to cry. I walked to the nearest cafe and ordered a cup of tea.

It's worth remembering that once babies have taken their first step, pretty soon they're running up to you with open arms and a massive smile. Who's to say we adults can't do that?

I hope this post gives you the courage to help yourself too.

No comments: