Sunday 16 January 2011

Bus journey's in China

Allen Carr was reminding me, in his chapter on "Self -imposed Slavery" how sometimes smokers will go outside and huddle together.

"There is never just one packet. There are twenty packets being thrust about, and the conversation is always the same.
"Do you smoke?"
"Yes, but have one of mine."
"I will have one of yours later." "

It reminded me of bus journeys in China. You could smoke freely on the buses there. Maybe you still can, I haven't been back since then.

The minute these men (I'm thinking of one particular journey) saw me light up, they were proferring their packets to me. I was like "No, no, have one of mine!" And so it went on, for ten hours actually. At one point I had to say, no no, I've had enough! You can still have one of mine though!

As I'm slowly being brainwashed for good purpose, I remembered this, but with a different take on it.
Were these men offering these cigarettes thinking "Die! Die!"
Was I offering mine thinking: "No you Die! Please, go on you Die!"

Be prepared, when stopping the Easyway using the book, that alot of memories are going to surface. Alot of really brilliant memories. I know what I've been doing to myself, we smokers know but most of the time we don't think about it. We literally cannot contemplate the thought.

"It's amazing how the fear of the horrendous health risks attached to smoking are overshadowed by the fear of stopping," said Carr, looking back on his days as a smoker.

I am pretty sure that I am never going to offer anyone a cigarette ever again as long as I live.....

I can't now. I can't so I hope I don't...

No comments: