Friday 6 November 2009

Bonfire Night

We watched it from our prime position in Papier Mache Towers. Weeeeeeeeeeeee bang! Weeeeeeeeeeee bang! That was from the living room window.

We went outside and stood on the balcony, my son so excited, while I, misery mother, thought of our soldiers in Afghanistan as the explosions rolled out like gunfire.

"Mummy, look, they've got sparklers! Why didn't we get any?!" The first pang of the evening. Where have I been??? My son danced beneath the light shows taking place as far and wide as Canary Wharf, Clapham, oh yes, we can see that far.

The bonfire and firework display I would take him to see at Ally Pally isn't until Saturday, when he'll be in Brighton with his dad. I'm grateful he'll go down there.

My second pang was watching Eastenders. The residents getting together in Albert Square's park to see the burning of the Guy. Ian set his bonfire too close to a tree so health and safety stepped in. Why didn't I check that anything was going on like that locally? Where have I been??? Sometimes I feel I fail my son so much.

Next Saturday we're meeting my old uni friends on the Southbank. They are coming from far and wide outside London. It was meant to be tomorrow but one of them couldn't make it. All of them are leaving their children with their husbands. I'm the only single mother amongst them so I have to bring my son. No-one can take him for me but he's cool, he knows he'll get a bunch of Match Attacks and a fizzy drink!

What's very cool is that as it's the last day of the Southbank Festival, there's going to be a massive firework display! It starts at 5! I've promised my son that we will stay for this remarkable display. I've never taken him before, he's always been with daddy. Me, my son and the girls! Warm and cosy and scrumptiously delicious! I can hardly wait for next Saturday to happen!

No comments: