Wednesday 11 November 2009

The Prince and the Pauper

As I approached Camden, with my hoodie pulled tight over my head (for the stunning weather had started to spit, then stream upon me), I stopped at Toasties, arguably the best chill out space for a cuppa tea for miles around.

There are sofas with cushions thrown on, plants, beautiful voices coming from the stereo system, comic strip decor on one of the walls, a Book Club where you can exchange an old book for new, a veritable lounge for a weary walker to lounge in.

Here in this groovy abyss of peace and pleasure, you can get a nice mug of tea and slice of toast for a pound! I thought of Orwell's world of tea and two slices when a homeless man himself.

I took my chance and asked the owner if he'd sponsor me. Yes! His female friend, who looked kookily burlesque said she would too! They would pay afterwards. Then a third man who didn't look like he owned much materially in his life, but looked like he more than made up with that with tales, said he wanted to sponsor me too, then matched the pledge of the other two and said "take it now because I might not see you again."

He'd been a Big Issue vendor in the 70's he said, when they all had colour codes and they placed their pitches where their codes allowed them too. I asked him what his address was so I could put it on my form but he wouldn't say and would only give his first name. Eventually he told me and it's a hostel I know.

I came home and I had an email from a man replying on behalf of the CEO, who couldn't sponsor me, because he gets so many requests and can't commit to all of them.

"You sponsor me instead then!" I emailed back. "You don't have to give much... Give it a thought, a little, little one?!

"I like your style!" he said but he had other commitments and wished me all the best.

Ah, 99 CEO's I emailed! Is a fiver too little which is why they don't dig into their pockets? The man at Toasties liked my style too and he dug really deep.

Just an observation.

2 comments:

Rhiannon Roberts said...

Apparently the statistics prove that the poor give much more of their wealth (percentage wise) than the rich. Maybe people with too much money just don't have the experience... or imagination to realise how much of a difference a small amount can make.
I want to go back to the toastie shop now - what comes around goes around, he just did himself a good marketing favour!

Stigmum said...

You may be right. I didn't even ask that man, he offered. When he took out the note the others who knew him said 'are you sure?' It was a very touching moment in a very touching place!