Tuesday 3 November 2009

More free books!

The Times are giving out more free books! I discovered this yesterday when I trooped into Camden for some fridge fillers (and fruit bowl fillers and cupboard of dry goods fillers)

This week is Science. I'm not huge on science but yesterday's The Craftsman by Richard Sennet reminded me of my anthropology days. It's about the worker in all of us. Made me think of Nimble Little Fingers or whatever it was called about female factory workers in Asia.

So today, in the pouring rain, I jumped on Zat bike to get another. Now I've no need for the newspaper as you know as I get it in my inbox but then 5 books for the price of 1? I also like paper, any paper, the feel and texture of it in my fingers as I turn pages. You won't catch me reading an e-book anytime soon.

Today I was given Deep Simplicity by John Gribben about "the harmony underlying our existence".

Ooh, I look on the back and no female authors listed. Yesterday, The Craftsman promised The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan and Silent Spring by Rachel Carson on the back sleeve but not Deep Simplicity. Oh. What's going on?

Perhaps I shouldn't bother with Science after all. I still have some of my old anthropology books to read, most notably Death Without Weaping - The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil by Nancy Scheper Hughes. It's brilliant, harrowing, engaging but I never finished it.

I also STILL have to do my book reviews on the free books I got two weeks ago. I started Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton the other day on the train but fell asleep. Doesn't really bode well does it but I promised you a book review and a book review you shall get! Just don't hold your breath ok?

No comments: