Tuesday 10 November 2009

Methinks 6 miles was a tad optimistic....

"Oh you don't want to walk in those!" said the man in the outdoor shop.
"Why not?!"
"They're a very nice pair of leather, fashionable boots. Good for a mile perhaps, but not 18! You'll get blisters!"
"No! They're really roomy around the toes!" I answered.
"Well, they'll make your legs hurt. You're better off wearing some proper walking shoes."

I'd popped in to see if he sold pedometers (and of course to see if he'd sponsor me) and we got chatting, as you do, in these little independent shops.

I told him I had trainers, but they gave me blisters. He told me to break them in again. This I will do. This I must do. Why?

Because my legs are KILLING me!! Or rather my leg. My left leg.

Oh my! Six miles I thought I'd do. In London's scenic little twists and turns it's 'easily' done. A long, straight road would be such a slog.

I did stop, on my way back, in Mornington Crescent. Texted Jo when I was at the British Library and steamed full ahead for the rendezvous as she had an early lunch hour.

Painful walking home. My left leg. I dunno, the muscles, the whole thing ached so much I was hobbling. Hobbling! And an 18 mile trudge next week!

The outdoor man sold me a pedometer as it happens. Outrageously expensive, so he gave a discount. He also convinced me to buy a pair of 'cushioned' hiking socks, saying if I wear thin socks with trainers that might be the cause of the blisters. He knocked a pound off these too! When I asked if he'd sponsor me he said he had, with the discount!

"That's good!" I said. "That's great! But you have to give a little to the people I'm walking for..."

He told me to pop in next week. Every little helps! (Tesco)

No comments: