Wednesday 25 November 2009

Sweeping the blues...a minor miracle

Just as I was about to post a funny little coincidence, a phone call came from the school. "Your son's got stomach ache, can you come and collect him?"

Thank goodness I don't work, I'd be fired, I thought as I dashed down them seven flights and flew across the roads.

Doubled up in pain, my son was sitting in the office. Not the first time he's had the pain in his side. A couple of Monday's ago he had it and I cynically thought it was a 'back to school' thing, then got paranoid it might actually be his appendix and rang NHS Direct only for the pain to mysteriously vanish the second I started talking to someone.

He had it again at the weekend, he said, and his dad had given him some calpol. Now in tears he was saying his dad had also said it might be his appendix and that doctors would cut him open with a knife. Oh well done you foca....

Third time now though? The boy crying, walking bent double? I shoved him on Zat and cycled down to the surgery.

On the way he said: "Mummy, I'm going to pray to Jesus to make the pain go away," As we approach the surgery, whadda ya know, the pain goes. Still, it was worth bringing him in.

We took it in turns reading to one another while we waited.

We presented to a young doctor. I told him I'd bought my son in a few times because he's not a regular pooer but had been ignored by those I'd taken him to see.

"So you have a problem with your bowels," the doctor said to my son.
"No, I know all my vowels," answered my son. I got the giggles and couldn't stop.

He prescribed him some laxatives, to 'break the bad habit' commonly seen in young children. I have always felt my potty training wasn't wholly effective when it comes to number two's, so I grabbed the prescription and am hoping for the best.

Anyway, here I am with my very well thank goodness son, midweek, when I have woken up with the blues and posted a little song on blogspot.

"Do you want to go back to school?" I ask him. "You're well enough."
"No mummy, I want to stay with you."
"Well, I have to go into Camden, to get some money, we'll have a bite to eat and then we'll see ok?"

I take him to Toasties, but the guy who sponsored me isn't there to deliver the cash. I get two toasted sandwiches and we settle on the sofa. I laugh with my son! I play with my playmate! We roll like thunder on the sofa! I guess that what they call sweeping the blues!!

We eat and then while he reads a Batman comic, I listen to the lyrics of the music playing on the stereo. I call the school; home time is in two hours, I'll keep him with me.

"I need the toilet mummy," says the little one. The toilets in Toasties are great; you can sit in there for hours reading all the grafity. Home schooling, I think, what a wonderful day it's turning out to be!

My son's favourite was:

Please pu pu and wi wi and puke in the toilet and not on the floor. Thank you. The Management.

Mine was: Butterflies go whereever they please and please whereever they go! (by Amy)

We came home and read some of his school book (Icecream Machine Totally Fizzbombed by Julie Bertagna) then he colours in a picture of Kookaburra bird he'd started for me and hadn't finished yet.

At 4 pm (good timing hun, good timing), he asked if he could play his psp "so I can beat the croc!" (?!?) and I fell asleep beside him, woken with a jolt that I should feed him before his Beaver's class.

I forgot to make the brocolli but he was happy enough with fishcakes and lumpy mash.

My son'll go back to school tomorrow. I've got Boot Camp to stamp out any blues residue. I dunno, today was really quite magic! My boy made my day he did, made my day!

No comments: