Tuesday 10 November 2009

Fundraising

I told my son I'd spent the whole afternoon emailing people, trying to get them to sponsor me.

"Why don't we keep the money mummy?"
"Well, because it's not for us."
"Who is it for?"
"It's for the people I'm walking for."
"Why can't we keep some of it?"
"It would be nice but when you do something for charity, you pay some money to be able to do whatever, like walking, and then you raise as much money as you can for all the walking so the charity can give it to the people who need it."
"But we need it mummy."
"Um, yeah, I know."
"So why do you have to pay to do it?"
"Because that's the rules."
"So what do you get?"
"Um, a good feeling."
"What else?"
"Um, that's all."
"That's all?"
"Well, yeah."

(Son hugs my legs then goes to sit on the carpet to look at his Match Attack collection)

"But that's good!" I call after him, thinking I'm not giving fundraising a good press. "A good feeling's good!"
"I'll sponsor you mummy," he says looking up at me.
"Oh THANKYOU hun."
"Is one pound enough?"
"One pound is plenty!"

And I go over to him and give him a great big kiss and because it's not the school playground, he lets me! Good feelings you see, good feelings!

No comments: