Monday 30 November 2009

Give me wierd if wierd is good

I returned from amazing weekend with amazing friend yesterday evening and a letter awaited me from Mr Muppet, Leader of the Council (I told Stigmum it was disrespectful to call a helpful councillor Mr Muppet but she says it fits and the Muppets are cool and to just call him that and be done, and well, I'm in no mood to cross Stigmum today as she's in a positive mood).

Well, Mr Muppet's letter says:

"Thank you for your email telling me about the problems you are experiencing with your temporary housing situation and your problems with the housing options, Choice-based Lettings Scheme.
I have raised an enquiry with the Housing Needs service and I hope to have a response around the 9 December."

I have not sent him an email!! No! It didn't cross my mind!!

He says that if I need help in the meantime, to please get in touch. He's given me his number! Well, I should use it really shouldn't I? Bidding closes today at noon.....

What is also curious is that I run into lovely widowed mamma who lives upstairs on the way back from the school run. She hates living here. She has always hated living here. She was placed here, she never chose to live here. For nine years she has written letter after letter to the council telling them to sort out the mould and condensation on her windows and for nine years she has been ignored. She's given up trying to redecorate rooms because in no time the paint turns black.

"By 2012," she reminds me, "all homes in Camden will be bought up to standard. These flats are sub standard, not of any standard actually. I hate it, it depresses me. Friends won't visit because they hate getting into the lifts. I'm thinking of letting go of my council flat and doing the private sector thing. Housing benefit will pay for it, and we might be better off."

It is not curious that I call this place Papier Mache Towers. That is a fact. It is curious that by bidding on a place upstairs, I am 'choosing' to raise my son here.

Perhaps when I call Mr Muppet, I should put in a word for her. She is so goddamn pretty, she's not allowed to be depressed...

No comments: