Sunday 15 November 2009

Thank heavens for friends

I don't oft post about friends, the meetings I have with them, the phone calls that lift me up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not constantly on the blower, the A-Team isn't forever alerting me to lurrrrrrve. I quite bad at neglecting them myself. But really today, I must post something.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago I was meeting some old girlfriends. Ah, yesterday! At the Tate Modern at midday. It's been so long since we've seen one another that children have grown up, siblings have been born, new babies have come into the world so that now we are all mothers!

No-one looked any older! Twas only yesterday we were grooving on down at the SU Bar, exploiting whiskey promotions and such like.

No-one had changed, everyone had changed, it was the loveliest afternoon scoffing and walking round and chatting and remembering how funny they all were. And generous to boot, for as I took my son to the loo they settled the bill and wouldn't hear of me contributing. How do you say thank you for that?

My son was a superstar; didn't play up being the only child. He'd packed his folder of Match Attacks, a diary and pens, some workbooks, his psp, but was in football heaven when Em gave him all of her son O's Match Attack swaps!! His eyes were like saucers there were so many. In two weekends time she's invited us to stay! Can't wait!

So yesterday I floated home, not even dismayed that the Mayors fireworks got cancelled at the last minute on account of the weather. (It had been really quite heinous, the rain, in the morning, and I muppet mother had forgotten to pack an extra pair of socks for her son so I wrung the pair he was wearing out and he had little choice but to go sockless till we got home... oh well, I never was in the running for Perfect Mother and he was cool so no point crying over soggy sock or whatever the expression is.)

Today we go and meet Ellie and her son at Regents Park. I've seen Ellie recently but it's been ages since our boys have seen each other. Mine was super excited, bouncing off the walls!

She gave me a tenner for my sponsored walk the lovely lovely lovely mamma and I told her of my idea of getting the PM and Competitors to sponsor me. She said 'go for it!' I told her I might cc the local paper.

"Bcc it, it's better no?" she says.
"No I'm going to cc it so the parties don't know."
"Exactly, bcc it! Keep it secret!"
"Doh! Thank God I've met you today!"

I am a person who thinks things through without thinking through things at all.

I am also a person who has very lovely friends.

Aw shucks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friends are great. Who knows where I would be without mine.

Stigmum said...

Me too xxx