Thursday 5 November 2009

Electric Dreams

Electric Dreamboat (well, dreamy twinkling eyes at any rate) has just been round to look at my meter.

The fuse box is no longer fizzing so it was rather like booking an appointment with a doctor when you have the flu but being sniffle free on the day of the appointment.

The fizzing, he said, is not dangerous but over time can burn the cables and go "Boom!" At which point the whole flat will shut down. He said it needs replacing.

"Well can I replace it soon then?" I asked
"That is up to the council."
"Well this flat is owned privately, so should I get the landlord to do it?"
"No, the block belongs to the council and the whole thing has to be rewired," he told me, eyes still twinkling. "It is part of the council's plan to rewire all of its estates. Some have been done, but lots, like yours have been left behind."
"So what can I do?"
"Nothing until then, but you are lucky. Some flats I have visited, the box fizzes all the time. The old people they tell me they can't sleep at night."
"Oh crikey. Well, yes, I guess I just wait for the fizz fizz BOOM!"
"Yes," he laughs.

The opening of a Black Eyed Peas song fizzes into my mind

crackle crackle crackle crackle crackle crackle
Gotta get-get, gotta get-get
Gotta get-get, g-g-g-get-get-get, get-get

Boom boom boom, gotta get-get
Boom boom boom, gotta get-get
Boom boom boom, gotta get-get
Boom boom boom, gotta get-get

BOOM

4 comments:

Jennysmith said...

I'm too square to know that song but a good post anyway.

Electric Dreamboat - i like that one

hope it doesn't fizz too soon!

xxxx

Stigmum said...

It's one of my son's current favourites,easy lyrics he picked up at the school halloween disco! The group's "Shut up" song was my break up with the Foca song, but long before I was blogging! x

PippaD said...

Oooh, phone your landlord and council anyway!!!

Stigmum said...

I could, I would, but methinks like the lift problems in the tower, one will be unable to do anything and the other will wait until it goes....BOOM!