Friday 6 November 2009

Small BIG Issue idea

I am thinking of signing up to the Big Issue's Big Night Out Winter Walk 2009.

On the 20th November 200 people will be walking 18 miles around this great city that is London, through the night, to raise funds for the Big Issue Foundation.

I am tempted. I feel so hopeless it might make me feel better. I'll be in good company, with people who feel as strongly about housing as me.

Me, lazy little me, walking 18 miles!

I can do it as a protest, on behalf of the thousands jammed in dreadful housing situations. I can pretend it's a punishment, for landing myself in this situation. If I find it too hard going I can pretend I'm carrying a crucifix as I trudge along, with the hope of finding some kind of redemption at the end. Us mental cases spend so much time in our heads that shouldn't be too difficult.

I'd have to find sponsors. I don't work so how will I find them? This could give me a job to do next week instead of sinking into some kind of bleak depression. A challenge! A veritable challenge!

It costs £30 to do it, but that's a night out in London anyway.

I'm thinking about trying to get friends to come along but who? I can just as easily do it by myself. There'll be loads of people there. The website says I'll have "exclusive access to some of London's most inspiring venues", that I can "meet and chat with [their] vendors", that there will be "surprise on route entertainment"!

I should do it shouldn't I? Rise to this challenge that lies so close to my heart?

As Nancy Sinatra sang, and stigmum wants to put her own bit in:

These boots are made for walking
And that's just what they'll do
One of these day these boots will walk
All over punitive housing policies

I will, I certainly will, if I do it that is, wear something RED!

3 comments:

Writing Sally said...

Fantastic idea.
In case you didn't see - thanks for reading mine.
If it means anything I think you are incredible.

Jean said...

Wow, 18 miles?! I recently walked 6 miles and that was enough, but I'm assuming you're younger than me and made of more determined stuff!

It sounds like a great idea, and if it's something close to your heart you won't regret it. Good luck.

Stigmum said...

Ah mammas thank you! So much! Six miles is an amazing feat, well done! I don't know where they plucked the number 18 from! It's certainly not how old I am so hope my legs don't buckle after the first mile! Sometimes I like to set myself really difficult challenges, don't ask me why! And methinks all us single ma's are incredible so very pleased to have 'met' you!